My all-time green pea stew recipe! It’s super-easy to make, naturally gluten-free and vegan, and SO incredibly cozy and delicious.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 small onion or 1 medium
- 2 1/2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp harissa
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cayenne or paprika
- 200 –300g of lamb (4 pieces the size of your palm)
- 4 cups frozen green peas
- 1 large potato cut into 8 pieces
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 tsp caraway
- 2 tbsp cilantro or parsley finely chopped
- Heat oil in a 6qt dutch oven or a large pot on medium heat. Add onions cook for 1 minute until starting to turn translucent.
- Add harissa and tomato paste. Stir to combine with the onions and cook for 2 minutes. Push the onion mixture to the side of the pot.
- Add lamb and cook until it has mostly turned from pink to light brown, add turmeric, cayenne and salt. combine all the ingredient together. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add 2 cups of water and bring to a rapid boil.
- Reduce heat to a bubbling energetically but not crazy rapidly, add potatoes and peas. – You may need to add more water at this time, add in 1/2 cup at a time. (The water should be just barely covering the meat.) Cover with a lid and cook for 50 minutes.
- Once meat and peas are tender add garlic, caraway and adjust seasoning.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve
- This stew is great with chicken, beef, or lamb
- You also make it vegan too
- for the Instant Pot, version reduce water to 1 3/4 cup and set for 25 minutes
- For the slow cooker add the 2 cups of water and set on low for 6 hour or high for 4
- many variations for this stew include carrots, and or baby turnips
- Category: main
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern