The BEST pea stew recipe ever! So hearty, cozy and comforting!
Loaded with flavorful chunks of meat, sweet peas and potatoes that come out amazingly tender.
I don’t know about you all, but all I wanted to do was cozy up with some of my favourite stews and other comforting foods. It was snowy and rainy here these past few days, which probably provided extra incentive to stay in (and of course a Canada government order no non-essential travel due to weather helps inspire that mode too 😉 ) and snuggle up to some good books and listen to my favourite podcast.
And sure enough, one thing led to another, and before you knew it my little apartment was in the full-on, hygge mode. We’re talkin’ a candle burning, a podcast on the speaker, inaugural ka’ak baking in the oven, a steaming cup of chai spice tea with cashew milk in my hands, big cozy throw on the couch, bulky reading sock on my feet. And the quintessential winter stew boiling away on the oven.
This stew is incredibly easy to make and it’s full of good-for-you veggies, and also happens to be naturally gluten-free and can be made as a vegan version too. And it’s just the perfect balance of sweet, spicy and savoury seasonal flavours.
It’s also easy to make in the slow cooker, pressure cooker, or on the stovetop. Just adjust the water ratio.
In my home, I usually sever this with a warm crusty baguette, and a large everyday salad, or with plain rice.Print
My all-time green pea stew recipe! It’s super-easy to make, naturally gluten-free and vegan, and SO incredibly cozy and delicious.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 small onion or 1 medium
- 2 1/2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp harissa
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cayenne or paprika
- 200 –300g of lamb (4 pieces the size of your palm)
- 4 cups frozen green peas
- 1 large potato cut into 8 pieces
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 tsp caraway
- 2 tbsp cilantro or parsley finely chopped
- Heat oil in a 6qt dutch oven or a large pot on medium heat. Add onions cook for 1 minute until starting to turn translucent.
- Add harissa and tomato paste. Stir to combine with the onions and cook for 2 minutes. Push the onion mixture to the side of the pot.
- Add lamb and cook until it has mostly turned from pink to light brown, add turmeric, cayenne and salt. combine all the ingredient together. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add 2 cups of water and bring to a rapid boil.
- Reduce heat to a bubbling energetically but not crazy rapidly, add potatoes and peas. – You may need to add more water at this time, add in 1/2 cup at a time. (The water should be just barely covering the meat.) Cover with a lid and cook for 50 minutes.
- Once meat and peas are tender add garlic, caraway and adjust seasoning.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve
- This stew is great with chicken, beef, or lamb
- You also make it vegan too
- for the Instant Pot, version reduce water to 1 3/4 cup and set for 25 minutes
- For the slow cooker add the 2 cups of water and set on low for 6 hour or high for 4
- many variations for this stew include carrots, and or baby turnips
- Category: main
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern