This Egyptian homemade beans recipe is easy to make in just 20 minutes. It’s naturally gluten-free, vegan. And most importantly, it tastes sooo much better than the Pre-made canned stuff!
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 can of fava beans
- 1 garlic, grated
- 1 tsp cumin, ground
- 1/4 tsp coriander seeds crushed
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 lemon, juiced (optional)
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add the garlic and sauté for 1-2 more minutes, stirring occasionally, until cooked and fragrant.
- Add in the fava beans, cumin, and coriander stir to combine. Add water Continue cooking until the mixture reaches a simmer and the bean soften.
- Remove pan from heat. Use a potato masher or a wooden spoon to mash the beans to your desired consistency.
- Taste and season the beans with lemon juice, salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve warm, topped with tomatoes, parsely, and green onion.